Dr. Coleman focuses his oxidative stress and mitochondrial research expertise on trying to describe redox metabolic features of articular chondrocytes that are critical to maintaining healthy articular cartilage under normal loading conditions but play a role in pathology under severe mechanical loads. Dr. Coleman has conducted substantial translational work with a focus on pathogenesis as a result of mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress. This has been conducted as an ongoing member of the University of Iowa’s Free Radical and Radiation Biology Program (FRRBP), a forerunner for redox biology in the United States, and the distinguished Orthopedic Research Laboratories at the University of Iowa.
He was also recently named the director of the Orthopedic Histopathology Laboratory at Iowa. Within his own laboratory, his research has directly led to multiple antioxidant and mitochondrially targeted drugs in phase 1 or 2 clinical trials including drugs targeting post-traumatic osteoarthritis, oral mucositis after radiation therapy, and several chemotherapies. Current projects study the intersection of mitochondrial redox metabolism and the chronic inflammatory pathways that dominate normal tissue injury research as well as arthritis research.
- Andringa KK, Coleman MC, Aykin-Burns N, Hitchler MJ, Walsh SA, Domann FE, and Spitz DR. Inhibition of glutamate cysteine ligase (GCL) activity sensitizes human breast cancer cells to the toxicity of 2-deoxy-D-glucose. Cancer Res. 2006;66(3):1605–1610. PMID:16452219.
- Coyle CH, Martinez LJ, Coleman MC, Spitz DR, Weintraub NL, and Kader KN. Mechanisms of H2O2-induced oxidative stress in endothelial cells. Free Radic Biol Med. 2006;40(12):2206–2213. PMID:16785034.
- Coleman MC, Asbury CR, Daniels D, Du J, Aykin-Burns N, Smith BJ, Li L, Spitz DR, and Cullen JJ. 2-deoxy-D-glucose causes cytotoxicity, oxidative stress, and radiosensitization in pancreatic cancer. Free Radic Biol Med. 2008;44(3):322–331. PMID:18215740.
- Hadzic T, Aykin-Burns N, Zhu Y, Coleman MC, Leick K, Jacobson GM, and Spitz DR. Paclitaxel combined with inhibitors of glucose and hydroperoxide metabolism enhances breast cancer cell killing via H2O2-mediated oxidative stress. Free Radic Biol Med. 2010;48(8):1024–1033. PMC2843822.
- Ridnour LA, Sim JE, Choi J, Dickinson DA, Forman HJ, Ahmad IM, Coleman MC, Hunt CR, Goswami PC,and Spitz DR. Nitric oxide-induced resistance to hydrogen peroxide stress is a glutamate cysteine ligase activity-dependent process. Free Radic Biol Med. 2005;38(10):1361–1371. PMID:15855054.
- Morrison JP, Coleman MC, Aunan ES, Walsh SA, Spitz DR, and Kregel KC. Aging reduces responsiveness to BSO- and heat stress-induced perturbations of glutathione and antioxidant enzymes. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2005;289(4):R1035–1041. PMID:15947071.
- Morrison JP, Coleman MC, Aunan ES, Walsh SA, Spitz DR, and Kregel KC. Thiol supplementation in aged animals alters antioxidant enzyme activity after heat stress. J Appl Physiol. 2005;99(6):2271–2277. PMID:16099896.
- Tao R, Coleman MC, Pennington JD, Ozden O, Park S-H, Jiang H, Kim H-S, Flynn CR, Hill S, Hayes McDonald W, Olivier AK, Spitz DR, and Gius D. Sirt3-mediated deacetylation of evolutionarily conserved lysine 122 regulates MnSOD activity in response to stress. Mol Cell. 2010;40(6):893–904. PMC3266626.
- Ozden O, Park SH, Kim HS, Jiang H, Coleman MC, Spitz DR, and Gius D. Acetylation of MnSOD directs enzymatic activity responding to cellular nutrient status or oxidative stress. Aging (Albany NY). 2011;3(2):102–107. PMC3082006.
- Jacobus JA, Duda CG, Coleman MC, Martin SM, Mapuskar K, Mao G, Smith BJ, Aykin-Burns N, Guida P, Gius D, Domann FE, Knudson CM, and Spitz DR. Low-dose radiation-induced enhancement of thymic lymphomagenesis in Lck-Bax mice is dependent on LET and gender. Radiation Res. 2013;180(2):156–165. PMC3821998.
- Coleman MC, Olivier AK, Jacobus JA, Mapuskar KA, Mao G, Martin SM, Riley DP, Gius D, and Spitz DR. Superoxide mediates acute liver injury in irradiated mice lacking Sirtuin 3. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2014; 20(9):1423–1435. PMC3936509.
- Goetz JE, Coleman MC, Fredericks DC, Petersen E, Martin JA, McKinley TO, and Tochigi Y. Time-dependent loss of mitochondrial function precedes progressive histologic cartilage degeneration in a rabbit meniscal destabilization model. J Orthop Res. 2017;35(3):590–599. PMC5148713.
- McKinley TO, Martin JA, Coleman MC, Lim TH, and Brouillette MJ, Inventors; Preventative Therapy for Post-Traumatic Osteoarthritis. U.S. Patent WO2017031214A1 filed Feb 23, 2017.
- Coleman MC, Brouillette MJ, Andresen NS, Oberley-Deegan RE, and Martin JA. Differential Effects of Superoxide Dismutase Mimetics After Mechanical Overload of Articular Cartilage. Antioxidants (Basel). 2017 Nov 30; 6(4). Pii: E98. PMC5745508.
- Coleman MC, Goetz JE, Brouillette MJ, Seol D, Willey MC, Petersen EB, Anderson HD, Hendrickson NR, Compton J, Khorsand B, Morris AS, Salem AK, Fredericks DC, McKinley TO, and Martin JA. Targeting mitochondrial responses to intra-articular fracture to prevent posttraumatic osteoarthritis. Sci. Transl. Med. 2018 Feb 7;10(427) pii: eaan5372. PMC5987523.