4210 Medical Education and Biomedical Research Facility (MERF),
The University of Iowa,
Iowa City, IA 52242-1181,
Fax: (319) 335-8039
Dr. Goswami's laboratory is pursuing a mechanistic understanding of the role intracellular redox-state plays in regulating the mammalian cell cycle, and the application of these findings in aging and cancer research. His lab first reported the concept of a redox-cycle within the cell cycle linking cellular metabolism to cell cycle progression. His lab discovered a new mode of cellular aging, chronological lifespan which is defined as the duration during which normal human quiescent fibroblasts retained their capacity to re-enter the cell cycle. Recent research efforts focus on understanding mechanisms regulating metabolic reprogramming during aging of normal human fibroblasts and their effects on cancer progression and therapy response in a stromal environment.
Research efforts are also focused on understanding the cellular and molecular mechanisms regulating cancer cell growth-state specific response to therapy. These efforts are based on a clinical study where the clinicians observed that the survival of head and neck cancer patients is significantly worse in patients with lower pre-therapy tumor F-18 Fluorothymidine (FLT) uptake (SUVmax ≤ 5.5; p=0.04), suggesting that cancer cell growth-state contributes to therapy outcome. Ongoing efforts investigate whether cancer cell growth-state specific metabolism regulates therapy response.
- Menon SG, Sarsour EH, Spitz DR, Higashikubo R, Sturm M, Zhang H and Goswami PC. Redox regulation of the G1 to S transition in the mouse embryo fibroblast cell cycle. Cancer Research 2003, 63:2109-2117. http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/63/9/2109.long
- Menon SG, and Goswami PC. A redox cycle within the cell cycle: Ring in the old with the new. Oncogene 2007, 26:1101-1109. http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1038/sj.onc.1209895 PMID: 16924237.
- Sarsour EH, Kalen AL, Venkataraman S, Oberley LW, and Goswami PC. Manganese superoxide dismutase activity regulates transitions between quiescent and proliferative growth. Aging Cell 2008, 7:405-417. http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1111/j.1474-9726.2008.00384.x PMID: 18331617 PMCID: PMC2538945.
- Chaudhuri L, Nicholson AM, Kale AL, and Goswami PC. Preferential selection of MnSOD transcripts in proliferating normal and cancer cells. Oncogene 2012, 31(10):1207-1216. http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1038/onc.2011.325 PMID: 21804600 PMCID: PMC3208126.
- Kumar MG, Patel NM, Nicholson AM, Kalen AL, Sarsour EH, Goswami PC. Reactive oxygen species mediate microRNA-302 regulation of AT-Rich Interacting Domain 4a and C-C motif Ligand 5 expression during transitions between quiescence and proliferation. Free Radical Biology and Medicine 2012, 53:974-982. http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2012.06.019 PMID: 22732186 PMCID: PMC3418417.
- Sarsour EH, Kalen AL, Xiao Z, Veenstra TD, Chaudhuri L, Venkataraman S, Reigan P, Buettner GR, and Goswami PC. Manganese superoxide dismutase activity regulates a metabolic switch during the mammalian cell cycle. Cancer Research 2012, 72:3807-3816. http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-11-1063 PMID: 22710435 PMCID: PMC3429130.
- Eckers JC, Kalen AL, Sarsour EH, Tompkins VS, Janz S, Son J, Doskey CM, Buettner GR and Goswami PC. Forkhead box M1 regulates quiescence-associated radioresistance of human head and neck squamous carcinoma cells. Radiation Research 2014, 182:420-429. http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1667/RR13726.1 PMID: 25229973 PMCID: PMC4221113.
- Xiao W, Sarsour EH, Wagner BA, Doskey CM, Buettner GR, Domann FE, and Goswami PC. Succinate dehydrogenase activity regulates PCB3-quinone induced metabolic oxidative stress and toxicity in HaCaT human keratinocytes. Archives of Toxicology 2014 Nov 23. http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1007/s00204-014-1407-3 PMID: 25417049 PMCID: PMC4441874.
- 1983 PhD, Chemistry, Gauhati University, India
- 1976 MS, Chemistry, Gauhati University, India
- 1974 BS with honors, Chemistry, St. Anthony's College, Shillong, India
- 1978-1983 Pre-doctoral Fellow, Regional Research Laboratory, Jorhat, India
- 1986-1988 Post-doctoral Fellow, Department of Microbiology, University of Miami, Miami, Florida